Process Technology Engineer
As the ‘home of unique offerings’ within SABIC, the Specialties Strategic Business Unit (SBU) is focused on challenging technology endeavors that positively impact the way the world travels, communicates, works and lives. This SBU provides unique offerings such as high heat resins, functional compounds and additives, specialty fluids, nanotechnology and thermoplastics composites to industries such as Additive Manufacturing, Consumer & Industrial, Electronics, Healthcare, Mass Transportation, Automotive and Water Management.
SABIC seeks high energy, goal-focused individuals who are proactive in problem solving and have the leadership and communication skills needed to help a diversified global business achieve its goals.
JOB PURPOSE & RESPONSIBILITIES
A SABIC Process Technology Engineer is accountable to work on technology development projects, operations support and customer fulfillment for the Specialties SBU in the professional and international technology organization.
Effective communication and collaboration, proactive planning, analytical skills, and the ability to balance multiple priorities and objectives are critical. This position supports and drives successful business strategy execution and customer fulfilment through technical excellence.
Job responsibilities include:
- As part of a cross-functional team based in an industrial plant environment, leading and delivering the technical solutions that are necessary in the design and commercialization of new polymers and polymer blends and/or in the optimization of existing polymer-based products
- Developing new processes and improving existing processes to develop new polymer molecules, blends and resins to provide growth to the business by accessing new markets.
- Working in an interdisciplinary team to define new opportunities and to find cost effective material solutions for new engineering materials.
- Working with manufacturing operations to identify opportunities for productivity, product quality and throughput improvements, then developing and implementing process technology to achieve those goals.
- Interfacing with manufacturing, quality, commercial teams and customers to provide technical leadership in the design and commercialization of new or improved processes.
- Planning and managing projects to develop and advance new process technology from the laboratory scale, through the pilot scale & commercial implementation, using modeling and statistical tools to establish product and process capability.
- Rigorously and safely taking new products from the laboratory to the manufacturing, ensuring consistent manufacturing performance of the products.
- Establishing inclusive and early partnerships with ancillary technical functions such as product technology, analytical technology, color technology, and external technology experts and technical service providers to proactively plan and gain inputs on process or product development programs.
- Using statistical design of experiments to deliver high performance while inventing, developing, and implementing new technology to our polymer portfolio
- Working with Legal Counsel and specialists to develop, refresh, and protect SABIC intellectual property (IP) and understand current and emerging IP landscape
Assignments may include:
- Analysis of production data to identify strategies for reducing materials & utility usages;
- Development and scale-up of processes to manufacture new intermediates or resins, including pilot-scale testing, evaluation of equipment options, and commercial trials;
- Testing of new catalyst performance and/or reactor start-up procedures;
- Evaluation of separations capability using process simulation tools & developing options for improving performance;
- Mass and energy balances;
- Process troubleshooting and optimization.
- Leading a technology development project
- Serving on a capital project team
- Degrees: MS and/or PhD in Chemical Engineering.
- Strong background in fundamental engineering principles (mass and energy balances, thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, unit operations, reaction kinetics and engineering, fluid mechanics, modeling, etc.) required.
- Demonstrated ability to solve relevant technical problems in the field of study with appropriate use of experimental design and statistical analysis. Experience with Statistical analysis tools, ASPEN process simulation software and Design of Experiment approach a plus
- Familiarity with industry practices related to process safety management and pilot plant, lab and personal safety
- Experience with PPO processes and products is a plus
- Excellent technical, written and verbal communication skills in English; able to deliver technical messages in English effectively to non-technical stakeholders and team members, preference for someone who can communicate in Dutch as well
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to effectively work with individuals at all levels of the organization and across functional disciplines (e.g. business leaders, technicians, chemists, chemical engineers, and manufacturing teams) locally and remotely.
- Ability and willingness to work cross culturally
- Curious and Motivated; demonstrated ability to appropriately leverage available resources to learn and grow technical/professional skills or to develop awareness of new techniques/approaches while delivering excellent results
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and deliver on their objectives
- Familiarity with stage-gated project processes
- Able to work flexible hours as needed to accommodate global team projects
- Willingness for occasional travel, sometimes internationally
- Previous Industrial experience in process technology/engineering is a plus.
For more information about this role you can contact Glenn Duggert, Corporate Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important notice: please be informed that a reference check, an employment verification and E-assessment is be part of our recruitment process. A Certificate of Good Conduct can be requested depending the level of the role in our organization and/or function, allowing us to request dependent of local regulations.
Responses from employment agencies will not be considered.
PEOPLE WHO CAN
SABIC, headquartered in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of Petrochemicals, Specialties, Agri-Nutrients, and Metals. We supply these materials to other companies, who use them to make products on which the world has come to depend. At SABIC, we believe in using chemistry to power the ambitions of our customers, business partners, employees and societies we live in. We call this “CHEMISTRY THAT MATTERS™”.In Europe, SABIC employs over 5,000 professionals and is running 6 world-scale production sites and 4 technology & innovation centers. We are present in almost every European country. Major locations within our broad network of innovation, production and marketing are: Teesside (UK), Cartagena (Spain), Gelsenkirchen (Germany), Geleen (Netherlands) Bergen op Zoom (The Netherlands) and Genk (Belgium). Based upon this strong fundament, we are a key producer of olefins, polyolefins, engineering thermoplastics resins, films and sheets. Discover more at sabic.com/careers