Advanced Material Science: Thermoplastic Polymer Structure-Property-Design (Mid-career)
The Corporate Technology &Innovation organization has Global Technology Centers with the scope to drive and manage key initiatives for SABIC. In this context, we continuously strive to install highly qualified and competent research personnel and capabilities in order to tackle these challenging problems. Execution of Business Unit and Corporate driven innovation programs by insuring appropriate resources, including infrastructure changes are key elements of focus.
SABIC’s Technology network consists of more than 1500 employees across six research- and ten application centers around the world. The technology organization supports SABIC’s global businesses in realizing its objectives by providing Best-In-Class Technology solutions.
The T&I team contributes to the development and refining strategic direction of Corporate Technology and contributes to the overall process of driving corporate decision making to ensure short, medium and long term profitability and returns to SABIC shareholders.
The Advanced Polymer Science department is responsible for managing long-term projects for Polymers in close contact with other SABIC Technology centers and external partners.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities
Purpose of this role
- Lead and contribute to research and development projects
- Support the development of proprietary solutions resulting in new products as well as understanding its structure-morphology-property. Create innovation, via experimentation and computation to define polymer structure-processing translations, and provide subject matter expertise to the whole team.
- Understand the what are the latest techniques and instruments in the field of polymer structure-morphology-property development
- Is aware of state of the art in the scientific world on the newest interfacial science concepts. Considered a go-to person for this field
- Contributes to T&I research goals through generating and fostering novel and diverse ideas with major business impact.
- Effectively interacts with the program team and further, global R&D, business and academia to seize innovative ideas and business opportunities for SABIC
- Responsible of lab capabilities including current equipment inventory as well as planning for new ones
- Promotes awareness and the need for open technical communication including knowledge-management
- Establishes and coordinates specialized internal and external technical networks
- Acts as champion & spokesperson for thermoplastic material science including concepts pertaining to morphology development and crystallization; has strong and broad experience covering all Polyolefin and Engineering Thermoplastics technologies
- Focuses on material science fields, which are related to Polyolefins (PP, LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE/UHMWPE) and copolymers as well as Engineering Thermoplastics (PC, PBT, blends etc.) as well as compounded products
- Protects the company’s IP position by filing, monitoring and evaluating patents
- Pays a high priority on assessing and addressing safety risks safety risks for themselves and their teams, applies higher level thinking about safety to provide paths to abate risks
- Has the ability to develop new product/process strategies and means to accomplish them by using his/her skills in rheology.
- Influences the technical direction of the T&I organization by focusing on key opportunities in line with business strategy
- Recognizes unsound data and conclusions on projects and advises go/no-go decisions to senior leadership
- Able to identify and translate industry trends and customer needs into research deliverables
- You are educated to university level in Materials/Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering or a related discipline (Masters with minimum 5 years relevant working experience, or PhD).
- Relevant industrial experience is a prerequisite with hands-on experience to make things happen in the lab
- You have proven expertise in polymer Structure-Property (experimental and/or computational) and polymer physics, preferably related to Thermoplastics.
- Experience in linking material structure – morphology- property relationship for a number of applications.
- Broad knowledge of polymer characterization techniques and skilled in statistical experimentation and data analysis methods.
- You are a critical observer as well as a conceptual and analytical thinker.
- Self-driven and proactive with the ability to independently identify and lead innovative opportunities.
- You are able to communicate complex technical concepts and results in a convincing manner in both technical and commercial environments.
- You are a team player able to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Demonstrates good practice of the Scientific Methodology and documents their work via Technical Reports, Intellectual property, Conference presentations and as deemed fit, peer reviewed Journal papers
- You are fluent in oral and written English.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com