Advanced Material Science: Polymer Rheology (Mid-career)
The Corporate Technology &Innovation organization has Global Technology Centers with the scope to drive and manage key initiatives for SABIC. In this context, we continuously strive to install highly qualified and competent research personnel and capabilities in order to tackle these challenging problems. Execution of Business Unit and Corporate driven innovation programs by insuring appropriate resources, including infrastructure changes are key elements of focus.
SABIC’s Technology network consists of more than 1500 employees across six research- and ten application centers around the world. The technology organization supports SABIC’s global businesses in realizing its objectives by providing Best-In-Class Technology solutions.
The T&I team contributes to the development and refining strategic direction of Corporate Technology and contributes to the overall process of driving corporate decision making to ensure short, medium and long term profitability and returns to SABIC shareholders.
The Advanced Polymer Science department is responsible for managing long-term projects for Polymers in close contact with other SABIC Technology centers and external partners.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities
Purpose of this role:
- Initiate, lead and contribute to research and development projects
- Be involved in Strategic activities including developing Tech White papers and roadmaps on capability development for the organization and SABIC enterprise at large.
- Lead team with the development of proprietary solutions resulting in new thermoplastic products as well as understanding its processability. Mentor, guide and develop team by bringing your experience in Rheology and Polymer Processing to create innovation for the programs and the organization at large
- Understand the competition, keep up on the latest trends in the field, and leverage outside resources.
- Contributes to T&I research goals through generating and fostering novel and diverse ideas with major business impact.
- Is capable of executing things in the lab and has no apprehension of stepping in to get things done
- Is capable of carefully converting data into knowledge particularly in complex systems
- Effectively interacts with the program team and further, global R&D, business and academia to seize innovative ideas and business opportunities for SABIC
- Effectively interacts with global R&D, business and academia to spot and propose innovative ideas and business opportunities for SABIC
- Promotes awareness and the need for open technical communication including knowledge-management
- Establishes and coordinates specialized internal and external technical networks
- Acts as champion & spokesperson for thermoplastic material science and material development; has strong and broad experience covering all Polyolefin and Engineering Thermoplastics technologies;
- Focuses on material science, which are related to Polyolefins (PP, LDPE, LLDPE, HDPE/UHMWPE) and copolymers as well as Engineering Thermoplastics (PC, PBT, blends etc.) as well as compounded products
- Protects the company’s IP position by filing, and helps develop the IP strategy together with Leadership
- Pays a high priority on assessing and addressing safety risks safety risks for themselves and their teams, applies higher level thinking about safety to provide paths to abate risks
- Has the ability to develop new product/process strategies and plans for the necessary means to accomplish them by using his/her skills in the field.
- Influences the technical direction of the T&I organization by focusing on key opportunities in line with business strategy
- Recognizes unsound data and conclusions on projects and advises go/no-go decisions to senior leadership
- Key resource and sounding board for senior business executives in areas of Polymer rheology and polymer processing, M&A, Technology strategy, etc.
- Able to identify and translate industry trends and customer needs into research deliverables and future strategic business needs for SABIC
- Communicates and influences senior management to drive initiatives that are aligned with SABIC’s long-term aspiration to gain competitive advantages.
- Anticipates future threats to SABIC business and technologies and plans long-term research accordingly.
- You advanced degrees in Materials/Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering or a related discipline (Masters with minimum 15 years relevant working experience or Ph.D. is required).
- Relevant industrial experience is a prerequisite.
- You have proven expertise in polymer rheology (experimental and/or computational) and polymer physics, preferably related to Thermoplastics.
- Experience in linking material structure property-relations with polymer processing performance and real world applications.
- Broad knowledge of polymer processing and polymer characterization techniques and skilled in statistical experimentation and data analysis methods.
- You are a critical observer as well as a conceptual and analytical thinker.
- Self-driven and proactive with the ability to independently identify and lead innovative opportunities.
- You are able to communicate complex technical concepts and results in a convincing manner in both technical and commercial environments.
- You are a team player able to work effectively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Demonstrates good practice of the Scientific Methodology and documents their work via Technical Reports, Intellectual property, Conference presentations and as deemed fit, peer reviewed Journal papers
- You are fluent in oral and written English.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org